20 January 2011

Ward Organist

At some point in the piano lesson period of my life, my mom passed on the following words of wisdom from my Grandma Webb: "If you can play the hymns, you can play anything." While I still can't sit down and play anything I look at--is that what practicing is for?--I can say that I've played through each hymn in the hymnbook at least three times and can play all but a handful without needing a quick run-through. It's something that has come in very useful in my life. And now, as I embark on my journey as a new "official" ward organist, I thank my mom for sharing the advice of Grandma, and I thank my Grandma for those few words of wisdom. I may never be a concert pianist--I never really wanted to be one anyway--but I may just be a great ward organist! Well, that is if I can work on those pesky bass lines with my feet....

No comments:

Post a Comment